Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I made lemon poundcake...

From N.


I think baking is messy (I blame flour) and not always rewarding (savory over sweet). So when the baking impulse strikes, I have to run with it.

My sister and I were in L.A. over Memorial Day, plotting a grilled dinner from Food & Wine magazine when I saw a recipe for lemon poundcake. We had already decided on a dinner of steak with avocado cilantro sauce, grilled veggies and heirloom tomatoes with basil vinaigrette, but I really wanted to make that poundcake. She was not enthused.

Then we found the sweetest, most delicious strawberries ever at the Santa Monica farmers market and I was determined to do it.

I didn't have an electric mixer, so had to combine butter and sugar by hand (a fork) until pale and fluffy. Not recommended. But the cake, which includes six eggs and lots of zest, bakes for an hour and a half at 325, which results in a beautiful golden crust and tangy lemon punch. With freshly whipped cream and those amazing strawberries, I was proud of the results.



It also completely burned up all my baking gusto.
You won't see me baking anything sweet again until Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment