Monday, November 30, 2009

I enjoyed great Asian food in Federal Way

From K.

One popular saying I committed to memory this year: Fish where the fish are. It works in business, for sure. But it's also a sensible way to find tempting vittles. Case in point: Federal Way, home to a huge Korean population (and, a huge population of Korean restaurants!).

My husband and I checked out Kokiri (32703 Pacific Highway South, 253-838-4288‎) for Korean barbecue on a recent Friday night and ordered wayyy too much meat for our in-table grill. If it's just the two of you, order one meat selection to grill and try something else as your second dish. We really liked the short ribs and our chicken, however. Not to mention the wealth of banchan!



Last weekend I finally checked out HMart, a Korean food mecca in the spirit of Uwajimaya sans the bright lights and fun decor. Scored a great deal on a box of dainty, delicious pears. Found Squirt in bottles, Mexican Coca-Cola, heavenly sponge cakes, so many different types of beans, produce and flours and an entire area devoted to fresh kimchi.



They even had a man outside roasting sweet potatoes for immediate consumption. One of my favorite ways to warm my belly and my hands, a habit I picked up after visiting family in Japan and picking them up in the park at the end of frosty fall runs with my family.

What a nice surprise it was to also discover a great Japanese restaurant in the neighborhood. Koharu (31840 Pacific Highway South, 253-839-0052) offers a delicious range of well-executed dishes in a tranquil setting surprising for a strip mall. Below is one of my favorite dishes, katsu-don (deep-fried and breaded pork cutlet atop a bed of hot rice, soaked in a shoyu-egg broth). It's not raw; apologies for my lousy camera :)

No comments:

Post a Comment